Re: Lettered tablature patch

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lettered tablature patch
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:23:18 -0700

On 12/2/09 9:50 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen wrote Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:40 PM
>>
>> On 12/2/09 2:26 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Following a suggestion by Neil I have also made the whiteout
>>> behind
>>> all fret numbers optional.  This is controlled by the 'whiteout
>>> property of TabNoteHead.  The default is #t to preserve the
>>> current
>>> behaviour.
>>
>> You also need to add 'whiteout to the TabNoteHead interface at the
>> bottom of
>> lily/tab-note-heads-engraver.cc
>
> Happy to do this, but I'm a little puzzled as
> the list seems far from complete.  The
> tab-note-heads-engraver reads several event
> properties and sets 'text and 'staff-position.
> Should they be added to the list too, or are
> all read event properties excluded?  And
> what about fretLetters?  That's accessed from
> an optionally called routine.

OK, so there are two things that need to happen:

1) We need to define the appropriate properties
2) We need to define the appropriate interfaces

Right now, since both 'whiteout and 'fretLetters are specific properties of
TabNoteHead, and aren't likely to be used anywhere else, they should
probably become part of the 'details property of TabNoteHead, and then they
are part of the tab-note-head-interface.

And I was wrong about adding 'whiteout at the bottom of the code.  The list
at the bottom of the code is about the *context* properties that are read
and written by the engraver, not the list of *grob* properties.

To my way of thinking, things that can appropriately apply to only the
TabNoteHead grob should be made part of the grob properties.

Thanks,

Carl