Re: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch (2.12.2)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch (2.12.2)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 23:28:35 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes
1.311 transposing instrument

Instruments whose notated pitch is different from concert pitch. Most of these instruments are identified in their name by their fundamental pitch - this being the note whose wavelength is equal to length of the instrument. For example Concert A is 440Hz, the speed of sound in air is 343m/s, therefore an A clarinet (or any other A wind instrument) will have a length of 343/440 = 78cm. (Or be a power of 2 longer or shorter.)

We could probably get to the truth from here but this is not correct as stated. My A clarinet is not 78cm long. It is significantly shorter. I don't know if this is more accurate for a brass instrument. It could be. I guess you would be talking about a trombone in 1st position or a valved instrument with the valves not depressed. For an A clarinet a low C (sounding concert A 220Hz) you would be fingering a note which only used about 1/2 the length of the instrument. For a C above that (sounding A 440Hz.) you would be using most of the length of the instrument but this is the 2nd harmonic of a cylindrical bore which is probably not a reasonable place to apply your description.

It would be nice to have a "simple but accurate" description of the fundamental of a woodwind instrument. I've obviously made a mistake in thinking it's similar to a brass instrument. My trombone is about 11ft mouthpiece-to-bell and the fundamental is Bb next to A=110, so that makes sense - 11ft ~ 4x78cm.

Is there any chance you could give me that description?

This note is always written as middle C in the treble clef, and is usually referred to as "being in 'X'" where X is the fundamental of the instrument it's written for.

As mentioned above this not the fundamental for a woodwind even if it is for a brass instrument. The most common fingering for a woodwind is the six finger note which is D (in the upper register for clarinets or G for a bassoon). From there we get to a C by either adding one finger or by removing most of the fingers. Neither using either the tube with no fingers down or all fingers down is really equivalent to a brass instrument for the purposes of this discussion. From one point of view you would call a bassoon an F instrument, a normal clarinet (Bf) an Eb instrument (equivalent to an F recorder).

I'd love to have the description completely accurate. I'll alter my bit to say "for a brass instrument the fundamental is etc etc etc". Seeing as you understand woodwind, would you do the same for the woodwind side?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden