Re: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch (2.12.2)

From: Aaron Andrew Hunt
Subject: Re: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch (2.12.2)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 17:02:07 -0500

On Apr 3, 2009, at 4:49 PM, address@hidden wrote:
But I've never come across "Bb French Horn in F"! Bear in mind the
French Horn is an orchestral instrument and I'm not an orchestral
trombone player, but what I understood is *supposed* to happen is that
the horn player whips out his Bb tuning slide (or "crook") and swaps it for an F tuning slide. This actually physically changes the fundamental
to an F so it now really is an "F French Horn". That's not to say that
some players don't bother and play the F part with the instrument still
in Bb.

Most modern horns are double (Holton) horns, which are
effectively 2 horns in one: a Bb and an F horn, to make playing
easier. Which horn a player uses to play a given pitch doesn't
really matter. Some play single horns, some play double. Some
play triple horns, with yet another valve to change the fundamental.
Slides (or crooks) generally aren't swapped on modern instruments.
But I think this is getting far afield of Lilypond concerns.

Yours,
Aaron
=====