Re: [Libcdio-devel] Big filesystem reorganization - paranoia is coming

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] Big filesystem reorganization - paranoia is coming
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:44:20 -0500

Steven M. Schultz writes:

 > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, R. Bernstein wrote:
 >
 > > For OS's other than GNU/Linux, for now cd-paranoia should be disabled:
 > >
 > > ./configure --without-cd-paranoia.
 >
 >      The thought just hit me - perhaps that should be the default in
 >      the configure.ac file.  If !Linux then disable cd-paranoia if
 >      it was  not explicitly enabled.
 >
 >      Or perhaps have cd-paranoia off by default unless specifically
 >      enabled.  I suppose there are more Linux users of libcdio than
 >      OS/X users so perhaps the earlier !linux idea is better :)

You may be looking at this as a pragmatist and I was looking at this
as an optimist. The goal is to have cd-paranoia running
everywhere. Well, at least most systems (since I don't know how to get
around the inability to issue OSX SCSI-MMC commands). So what's there
is what it *should* be, not what is most convenient or practical, right
now.

And in a way having it be inconvenient, at least right now in the
early stages, is an advantage. It may motivate more people using OSes
for which this is broken (which as you say may be most) to help fix
up.

If however after a while things don't improve and certainly before
release, sure disabling would be done (at least for those OS's known
not to work). Initially I didn't do it because it was extra work that
I hope would eventually be unnecessary. Actually, initially I didn't
even have the ability to disable cd-paranoia since that too was extra
work.

If folks aren't noticing a change moving forward (by me) in libcdio
paranoia it's just because I have been trying to move forward in the
VCD plugin for vlc. At some point I know I'll reach a stumbling block
in vlc - it usually happens. Then'll switch back to the next major set
of changes which needs to go on to make cdda_interface of paranoa be
able to use libcdio for all it's CD drive needs, a number of which I
think *have* to be done via SCSI-MMC. But for OSX, it may be able to
disable that part of cd-paranoia and still have a usuable cd-paranoia.