Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)

From: Ian Duggan
Subject: Re: Why savannah? (was L4Hurd at Sourceforge)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:36:43 -0700

> I care about that sourceforge isn't free and AFAIK most hurd hackers
> also care about it. The savannah people are going to rewrite everything,
> it will be better than it is now (and maybe better than sourceforge).

Again, can someone please explain to me which parts of Sourceforge are
offensive? Which parts aren't free? I just checked, and the full source
is downloadable and under the GPL version 2. What isn't free about that?

If the Savannah people rewrite it and make it better, that's a reason to
switch for me. For the moment, however, why would you want to sacrifice
features for politics?

Honestly, the whole free/Open Source thing gives me a headache. I just
like to be able to download code and use it elsewhere. If something
meets that requirement, I'm happy.

However, I can see that there is tension here, so I've applied for a
project at Savannah as well, called "l4hurd" with the same description
and goals. Seems like I'm just using up their resources and slowing down
that rewrite, however. :)  I'm going to work to keep sourceforge and
savannah synced. I don't want confusion about what is what.

For the moment, I've foregone applying for the GNU project status. I
don't want to be bogged down with legal crap right now. Someone else can
do that if they like.

I'm curious, can I get a show of hands from people on this list that are
really, really concerned about the "free" thing? I'm not talking about
proprietary vs. nonproprietary, but "free as in freedom" vs "free as in
beer" vs "open source" vs whatever? I'm interested in understanding what
the dynamic of the group is.

I, for one, am here because I thought it would be cool to learn about
microkernels, the Hurd, and OS programming in general. Those are my
goals. My code doesn't have any politics in it.

-- Ian

Ian Duggan                    address@hidden
                              http://www.ianduggan.net