Re: L4Hurd at Sourceforge

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: L4Hurd at Sourceforge
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 02:21:37 +0200 (CEST)

> >    # Here come the OS personalities using VK/L4:
> >    l4hurd/            # Changes for the Hurd multiserver w.r.t. savannah.
> >    l4linux/           # Changes to L4Linux to adapt it to new vk-l4
> > framework
> >    l4bsd/             # Anyone interested to port NetBSD to vk-l4? ;-)
> >    l4<whatever>/      # some other OS personality using vk-l4
>
> I wouldn't worry too much about any personality but Hurd now, at least
> not when it comes to the organization of the repository. I'd expect
> most stuff in this repository to be merged back into the proper places
> (hurd, glibc, etc) before anybody starts porting netbsd to a new l4
> framework.
Agreed.

l4bsd/ and l4<whatever>/ were just examples for an overall framework.
They don't need to be installed in l4hurd CVS ;-).

> Keeping the "vk"-thing in the back of your head is great for sorting
> out what parts are intrinsically hurd specific, and which ones are
> not, but I don't think a real general purpose vk is needed at this
> point. Ok, we have argued about that before, but I just want to say:
> Keep it simple. Drop infrastructure, framworks and features that
> aren't needed immediately. Add it back later if and when it is needed.
> Do the simplest thing that could possibly work ;-)
Again, I completely agree with you here. Keeping things organized is
useful though, but we don't need to get too fancy. Like you, I expect
the additions and changes to be merged back to hurd, glibc, l4[ka]?,
oskit. Additional stuff like the OS-personality neutral VK parts could
become a package of its own.

> Happy hacking,
> /Niels

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden