koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Frameworks in rel_2_2

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Frameworks in rel_2_2
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:22:40 +0200

Tümer Garip a écrit :
Hi all,
I think the framework idea was quite fine but has been taken to the
extreme. If frame works were used just as subsets of the default just to
allow the cataloger to see the necessary fields depending on what they
are cataloguing than its a wonderful idea. But the way it is being used
is messing everything up. I suggest we keep the frameworks but change
the usability to just closing and opening fields for editor purposes.
Apart from that everything should be mapped in the default framework
otherwise nobody will be able to search anything. Even with the new
koha_attr table. That one i designed it so that it only looks in the
default framewok if ever it need to lookup, otherwise god knows who
wants to store where.

Tumer is completly right here : I just want to remind you that the frameworks did not exist in Koha 2.0. when I created them for 2.2, I go the the quickest -shame on me-, and just added a row in the structure tables, to select the framework. but in real life, the only interesting values in frameworks are the tab & the hidden ones (+ constraints like authorities, authorized values & plugins) All the values related to search construction are useless. More (or worst) than this, they are ignored if you modify them outside from default framework. If you modify a non default framework, you'll see that 1 (and only 1, we should have more probably) field don't appear, you get a "this is meaningful only for default value)

For Koha 3, we could, it's true, separate frameworks (= display & input) from search setup (attset ...)

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants