k-mib-ppc

[K-mib-ppc] Cloop or Squashfs?

From: Yves Combe
Subject: [K-mib-ppc] Cloop or Squashfs?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 21:46:54 +0100

Hello,

On last saturday klaus Knopper anounced the next availability of knoppix 3.4, with 2.6 support. That means cloop is now supported on 2.6. :-)

I have made some tests with cloop and squashfs. It's difficult to say wich is better for a liveCD.

cloop as better compression (1% to 2%).

To get all the files from cdrom, in normal order, squashfs is better (10 to 20% less time). But to get all file in random order, cloop is better (28% less time!)

IMHO the usage in LiveCD is somewhere between this two possibiltys. It's difficult to predict wich is really better.

I have no idea how i can measure memory usage and cpu usage in cloop and squashfs usage.

For the moment i will keep squashfs. Time to change can come later, after other tests.

Regards,

--
Yves Combe
Formateur TICE