Re: Option for sendmail.el WAS: FAQ 5.2 still correct? [solved]

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Option for sendmail.el WAS: FAQ 5.2 still correct? [solved]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:16:43 -0500

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:06:07 -0700 (PDT) Memnon Anon
<gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

MA> On 10 Jul., 16:53, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> You can set your user-mail-address and the FQDN for the message ID will
>> be automatically deduced from it (by message-make-fqdn, which calls
>> message-user-mail-address).  Is that sufficient or do you need do set
>> the domain of the message ID separately from your user-mail-address?

MA> I just checked. I added those 3 lines again and sent a mail to my
MA> other mail
MA> account. Result:

MA> This is no vaild id. My machine is named home.

Can you call (message-make-fqdn)  (hit `C-x C-e' after the closing
parenthesis)?  Also call (message-user-mail-address) and let us know
what they say.  Finally, what's the value of user-mail-address (use
`C-h v' to find out)?

If your user-mail-address is set properly you should not get that
message ID.  In your particular case you should get
<random-id@googlemail.com>.

MA> And even if there would be Message-Id:
MA> <83d4ljuakt.fsf@googlemail.com>,
MA> this would still not be vaild, because my machine has no
MA> right to create a message Id like this.

Generally speaking, you can make any message ID you like, it's just good
netiquette not to unless you don't have your own IP in a static domain.
I don't know if there's a relevant RFC, but at least this draft infers
you can generate it with the domain of your e-mail address:

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/usefor/drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-message-id-01.txt

supported by some discussions:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-usefor/1997/May/0181.html

MA> This might result in duplicate M-ID, which is usually no problem.

MA> But using Mailing lists, there is a tiny little chance this might be a
MA> problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.  The chance that Gnus' algorithm will
conflict with Google's algorithm is negligible.  Of course, avoiding
this possibility is your choice.

Ted