Re: Option for sendmail.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Option for sendmail.el
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:08:13 -0500

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:56:01 -0700 (PDT) Memnon Anon
<gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

MA> On 14 Jul., 16:16, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> Can you call (message-make-fqdn)  (hit `C-x C-e' after the closing
>> parenthesis)?  Also call (message-user-mail-address) and let us know
>> what they say.  Finally, what's the value of user-mail-address (use
>> `C-h v' to find out)?

MA> Output:
MA> (message-make-fqdn): machinename.localdomain
MA> (message-user-mail-address): my set email address. This one seems
MA> right
MA> C-h v of user-mail-address: same output as (message-user-mail-address)

MA> email address is set via (setq user-mail-address
MA> "myemailname@myprovider.com")

OK, I found the problem.  The priority order is not what I thought.  Set
message-user-fqdn to what you need.  My fault, I misremembered the
code.

MA> I guess it is my fault. Configuring .gnus files and having no clue
MA> of gnus, just following different recipes on the web, is not that
MA> smart.

MA> But hey, changing smtpmail.el works. No one ever said using
MA> Emacs/gnus is easy; all they said is: whatever the problem, you may
MA> find a solution ;).

Gnus is, I'm afraid, fairly complex :)  It's one of the most interesting
parts of Emacs IMHO.

Fortunately, it gets much simpler once you understand the way it works.

Ted