Re: news AND nnimap with gnus

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: news AND nnimap with gnus
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:23:03 -0400

Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl> writes:

> quoting Sebastian Kaps (Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:10:20 +0200):
>> Hm, it works for me. I have no idea then.
>
> I want my e-mail first so I have in my .gnus file
>
> (setq
>       gnus-select-method '(nnimap "name it" [...])

>From reading the thread, it sounds like you've been swapping
gnus-select-method quite a bit; Gnus in the abstract expects you to
never ever change it.  It's possible there's some residiual confusion
from this.

>       gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
>               (nntp "news.server.nl")))
>
> That seems to be what you told me.
> When I start gnus (M x gnus) the imap mailserver is opened and my
> mailboxes are shown in *Group* That seems OK, but the question is:
>
> HOW can I switch to my newsgroups on teh newsserver?

In this setup you'll have three "groups" of groups:

foldername                          is an IMAP mail folder
nnml:some.other.folder              is a local mail folder
nntp+news.server.nl:gnu.emacs.gnus  is a newsgroup

You should be able to see all three servers in the server buffer, if you
press ^ from the group buffer, and subscribe to newsgroups via that.

For consistency, I use the nnnil backend as gnus-select-method, and put
nnml and nntp in gnus-secondary-select-methods.  nnnil exports no groups
at all, but that just means I always have to use nnfoo:group.name to get
at groups and not try to remember what select method an unqualified
group name goes with.

  --dzm