Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:13:43 +1000

me@privacy.net writes:

> Hadron Quark <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>me@privacy.net writes:
>>
>>> I'm curious what you do with emacs
>>>
>>> and gNus
>>
>>I'd say everyone that posts in this ng ....
>
> Ok
>
> Dumb question on my part but here goes
>
> I sick of bloated and fat software from MS
>
> If I learn emacs can it replace say 80 percent of the
> stiff I use now?

Without knowing what you do or what your needs are, its nearly
impossible to say for certain. However....

I have been using emacs almost exclusively for 99% of what I do for
the past 8 years. I was an analyst/programmer, moved into managing a
mid sized data centre and now do project management work (though I
still miss programming and plan to move back there).

In these jobs, particularly the management and project work, I need to
interact with a lot of people on various platforms, produce lots of
documents in high quality formats, maintain web sites relating to
current projects and various other bits and pieces.

While some of my emacs configuration took some time to get right, I
have no problem with people sending me MS word, Power Point and to a
limited extent XLS attachments, I produce PDF documents, edit wiki
pages, use latex and docbook etc all without ever leaving emacs at
all. I use modes like planner mode, muse, emacs wiki, nxml-mode, w3m
and w3 for web browsing and if necessary, can send urls to firefox to
render. I use emacs to produce presentations and slides for talks, a
simple emacs based spreadsheet and database, bbdb for my contacts,
calendar and appointment mode for tracking meetings etc and lots of
other bits I've either downloaded or written myself.

So, my answer is more than likely you will be able to do the vast
majority of things you need to do through emacs - it may take some
time before you find all the right packages, get the configurations
just right and perhaps learn to do some simple elisp to assist in
linking it all together.

I run my emacs under Linux, so I can't say how effective it is in
replacing all the standard windows apps, but under Linux it works well
for me - your milage may differ.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au