Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: How many use eMacs and Gnus on daily basis?
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:46:12 -0400

On  7 Jun 2006, me@privacy.net wrote:

> Dumb question on my part but here goes
>
> I sick of bloated and fat software from MS

You shouldn't pick Emacs or Gnus because you don't like Microsoft's
software.  Pick them if they do what you need.

> If I learn emacs can it replace say 80 percent of the stiff I use
> now?

It can probably do 99% of the things, but probably not in the way you
are used to, and perhaps not as well.

(speaking as an occasional Emacs and Gnus contributor)

I would encourage you to experiment.  Dedicate a week or two to just
trying out Emacs and Gnus, and see if they do things the way you like.
If not, look for something else (but make sure to ask before you give
up, so we know what features people want, and so we can tell you if
you missed something in the manuals).

You'll probably find Emacs and Gnus a little intimidating at first.
Look in the manuals, especially the beginner sections, and a lot of
things will make sense.  Gnus uses terminology ("buffer," "prefix,"
and so on) that can be hard to understand if you don't do that.

Ted