Re: Why can't I set organization?

From: Emre Sevinc
Subject: Re: Why can't I set organization?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:43:22 +0200

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> And what happens? It looks like my gnus system simply
>> doesn't take it into account, because it simply
>> doesn't print the organization header this way, and C-h v gnus-posting-styles
>> seems to be nil, however if I copy and paste the above code
>> to the *scratch* buffer and run it (as you advised) it works!
>
> Probably, your ~/.gnus file is not read.  The "Startup Files"
> section of the Gnus Info manual mentions as follows:
>
>   Gnus will also check for files with the same names as these, but with
>   `.elc' and `.el' suffixes.  In other words, if you have set
>   `gnus-init-file' to `~/.gnus', it will look for `~/.gnus.elc',
>   `~/.gnus.el', and finally `~/.gnus' (in this order).
>
> That is, ~/.gnus suggests being ignored, if there's ~/.gnus.elc
> or ~/.gnus.el.  How about that?

Oh my! Thank you very much! I've checked my home
dir just to see .gnus.el and .gnus.elc files! I've moved
them to some other directory, made the gnus reread the
configuration file by pressing r and then tried to
write a new message and voi la! the template included an
Organization field which was set correctly :)

It'd be good if the gnus FAQ writers updated the FAQ
because I think that was the problem. I've read FAQ,
created a ~/.gnus file and then went crazy why it didn't
work. Also gnus kept telling me that it was "reading ~/.gnus"
which added up to the confusion. If gnus told me it
was reading ~/.gnus.el or ~/.gnus.elc then the problem
would be solved much earlier.

Thanks again for the wonderful and high quality tech support
(it's free, quick and of high quality and the best thing
is that I don't have to struggle with helpdesk morons :)

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr