Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:16:13 +0200

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> * jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a site that compares various IMAP servers?  I'd
>> like to follow Kai's advice and try out an IMAP server alongside
>> unison + agent and see which one works better for me.  I'd like to
>> choose, say, a couple of mail groups for each method and see how it
>> goes.
>
> Well, there are some popular IMAP servers:
>
> Courier IMAP
> UW IMAP
> Cyrus IMAP
> Dovecot IMAP
>
> A very short and incomplete review (anyone is welcome to comment this):
>
> UW IMAP: The oldest IMAP server.You don't want this. Too many security
>          bugs in the past. Stores mails in mbox format only. Developers
>          are said to be ignorant in fixing known bugs. Easy and quick
>          setup.
>
> Courier IMAP: _My_ favourite choice. Small, fast. Stores mails in
>               Maildir format only. Very few security related bugs in the
>               past. Easy und quick setup.
>
> Cyrus IMAP: Too overloaded for home usage. It's full of features and a
>             very great IMAP server but setup is a little more
>             complicated compared to others. Mails are stored in Cyrus'
>             own format which is neither mbox nor Maildir.
>
> Dovecot IMAP: A new one in the series of IMAP servers but still at an
>               early stage. Stores mail in either mbox or Maildir
>               format. Developers already took care of security while
>               developing Dovecot.
>
> I recommend Courier or Dovecot.

Very helpful, thanks.

I did recall one thing I dislike about IMAP: as far as I know,
reportmail doesn't work with it.  Is this still true?

I suppose I could go back to tkbiff, which is pretty nice, but I've
grown partial to reportmail in xemacs.

--
"Come on people!!!  The US just blew up a lot of people in Iraq, don't
you realize that a person with my exposure might just end up dead, by