Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Jesse F. Hughes
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:38:57 +0200

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:
>
>> But nnml stores each mail in a different file.  I thought that IMAP
>> servers didn't do this, right?
>
> I'm sure there are IMAP servers out there using all kinds of storage,
> from all mail in one file, to each message in a separate file.
> Perhaps there is even an implementation that doesn't store the
> messages at all, but asks the Oracle of Delphi for the contents ;-)

Well, then that makes my decision more complicated.  I wonder how I
can learn what my options are.  Slackware comes with Pine's IMAP
server, but I don't know if that's the right one for me.

Does anyone know of a site that compares various IMAP servers?  I'd
like to follow Kai's advice and try out an IMAP server alongside
unison + agent and see which one works better for me.  I'd like to
choose, say, a couple of mail groups for each method and see how it
goes.

I am not in the habit of editing my nnml articles, so I can give that
up pretty easily.  Just so long as nnir is fast and efficient, then
I'll be happy.  Oh, and just so long as ifile works fine, but as near
as I can figger, it works with every backend equally.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
                "A gorgeous display of homosexual lust."