info-gne

Re: [Info-gnupedia]IS THE GNUPEDIA PROJECT ABLE TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE ?

From: Zefram
Subject: Re: [Info-gnupedia]IS THE GNUPEDIA PROJECT ABLE TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE ? (ENGLISH)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:29:40 +0000 (GMT)

Stephen A. Fuqua wrote:
>I have also been wanting to enquire about the relationship with Nupedia.
>According to the Nupedia founder's recent remarks, Stallman made a simple
>mistake with GNUpedia and the two projects are really supposed to be one.
>Without intending to sound like a troll here, frankly the Nupedia sounds
>like a much more authentic and professional project

It all seems perfectly simple to me: Nupedia and GNUPedia are both viable
projects, and sufficiently different to remain distinct indefinitely.
Nupedia is a centrally organised effort, with the only non-traditional
aspects of its production being the volunteer workers, the transparency of
the process, and the freeness of the result.  GNUPedia, on the other hand,
is explicitly avoiding the editorial problems inherent in a centralised
organisation.  GNUPedia will have many competing index pages where
Nupedia will have only one.  Also contrast both with the Wikipedia --
centralised but with little control.

Oh, yeah, hello everyone.  I'm Andrew Main, a.k.a. Zefram.  I'm a
hacker, but not interested in hacking code for GNUPedia; I'm here to
write articles.

I've written an article on the C programming language; it's at
<URL:http://www.fysh.org/~zefram/gnupedia/c_programming_language/>.
Critical review, offers of translation, etc., will all be gratefully
received.

I'm planning to write more articles on related topics; in writing the
C article I was very aware of a number of places that should have had
hyperlinks (e.g., links to articles on related programming languages,
and on programming concepts).

-zefram