info-gne

Re: [Info-gnupedia]IS THE GNUPEDIA PROJECT ABLE TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE ?

From: Zefram
Subject: Re: [Info-gnupedia]IS THE GNUPEDIA PROJECT ABLE TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE ? (ENGLISH)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:59:04 +0000 (GMT)

Stephen A . Fuqua wrote:
>                                          Its just too bad that their names
>are phonetically the same,

I assumed that "GNUPedia" would, like "GNU", be pronounced with a
voiced "G".  And, in fact, the first vowel sound would be different --
"gnoo-peedia" versus "nyoo-peedia" -- though I suppose that difference
isn't apparent in most American accents.

>                           though called the GNUPedia by "GNE" will clear
>things up

I've missed the origin of this, does it stand for "GNE's Not an
Encyclopedia"?  I thought this was an encyclopedia, of sorts, unlike
the way in which GNU is not Unix.

>Now, I understand that the complex filtering and editing of Nupedia will
>not be present with GNE. However, as a user I would find it incredibly
>valuable to have a moderation/ratings system, or to allow people to add
>short comments about the article. In this way I could more easily determine
>which article(s) is actually worth my time, and which one is riddled with
>errors. Perhaps this has already been discussed and hashed out. If so,
>well, ignore me then. If not, any comments?

There's room in a hyperlinked system such as this for many moderation
systems.  Anyone can write an article catalog that includes whatever
commentary they like.  This seems to be the intention in the GNUPedia:
catalogs and ratings systems, and hence articles, will achieve prominence
based on whether people choose to refer to them.

-zefram