iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Hi - Very quiet list - my first post

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Hi - Very quiet list - my first post
Date: 21 Jan 2003 11:37:11 -0800

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 05:00, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 January 2003 09:08, Peter Hanappe wrote:
> > FluidSynth can also load several SoundFont files so you can use
> > them together.
>
> I've wondered about that.  I'd noticed you can provide several
> SoundFont file names on the command line, but I've never discovered
> how you actually get at more than one from an ALSA sequencer such as
> Rosegarden.
>
> iiwusynth only seems to provide one ALSA MIDI device regardless of how
> many SoundFonts are loaded, and messing about with different channels
> and bank selects hasn't got me anywhere.  I'm probably just being
> dense.  Any clues?
>

> Chris

I think the answer to this type of situation is virtual banks. Smurf
Sound Font Editor has support for a textual based virtual bank format
created by Takashi Iwai (just bank:preset numbers to Patch
File:bank:preset mappings as well as some other useful constructs). This
allows one to combine instruments from multiple patch files into a new
virtual bank. This is another thing on the todo list for libInstPatch.
Adding support for FluidSynth would also be good.
        Josh Green