iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Proposition: Settings API

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Proposition: Settings API
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:35:13 +0200

Hello,

this sounds good. I don't have too much of an opinion here, since I'm
not using the API (yet).
Maybe the type should be 'double' instead of 'float' to be consistent
with the API type.

Now to dig up an older idea, which is partly related:
I could make all settings parameters easily available as nodes in the Fx
unit. Then I turn the standard reverb / chorus into a 'built-in' plugin
with an interface similar to LADSPA plugins, only contained in the
iiwusynth library.
The benefit is, that all the reverb / chorus parameter setting /
querying and audio routing can be handled using a generic solution. This
would get rid of a lot of code (think of iiwu_cmd.c, iiwu_synth.c,
iiwusynth.h).
This includes renaming 'ladspa Fx unit' to 'audio patchbay' (it doesn't
actually need LADSPA, except to load external plugins).
I won't start that today or tomorrow, but the more I think about it, the
more I like the idea. Especially the audio routing would be easier than
the current solution (for example: when to mix reverb / chorus to the
output and when not).

Anyway... next I'll have some fun with the new tuning feature. I wonder,
if it's possible to capture the sound of the acoustic piano downstairs,
it's so nicely out-of-tune :)

Cheers

Markus