iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Proposition: Settings API

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Proposition: Settings API
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:36:31 +0100

M. Nentwig wrote:
Hello,

Hi Markus,

Maybe the type should be 'double' instead of 'float' to be consistent
with the API type.

Sure.

Now to dig up an older idea, which is partly related:
I could make all settings parameters easily available as nodes in the Fx
unit. Then I turn the standard reverb / chorus into a 'built-in' plugin
with an interface similar to LADSPA plugins, only contained in the
iiwusynth library.
The benefit is, that all the reverb / chorus parameter setting /
querying and audio routing can be handled using a generic solution. This
would get rid of a lot of code (think of iiwu_cmd.c, iiwu_synth.c,
iiwusynth.h).
This includes renaming 'ladspa Fx unit' to 'audio patchbay' (it doesn't
actually need LADSPA, except to load external plugins).

I think that's indeed the way to go. That's a bit what I had in mind
when I wrote the proposition. It would also be nice that the user can
replace the default reverb and chorus by a LADSPA reverb/chorus.

For version 1.0 ("on a computer near you very soon"), I'd like to keep
the code for the reverb and plugins as it is now. As soon as we made a
stable release, we split of a development branch where we can hack into
the effects/plugin code.

However, it would be good to think of a naming scheme that is
consistent with what we'd like to do afterwards. The names of the
reverb and chorus parameters should be what they will be after the
changes. Something like:

  plugin.reverb.roomsize
  or
  effects.reverb.roomsize
  or
  fx.reverb.roomsize

The current LADSPA API allows users to give the plugin a name. So the
plugin's parameters could be accessible as

  effects.<pluginname>.<paramname>

If you all agree with that, I can make the changes this week. The
{reverb|chorus} {API functions|shell commands} would be replaced
with the settings {functions|commands}.

Lates!
Peter

Cheers