help-zile

Re: [zile-devel] Upcoming changes to display code

From: David A. Capello
Subject: Re: [zile-devel] Upcoming changes to display code
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:25:12 -0300

On mar, oct 05, 2004 at 09:47:56 +0200, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> I have now got to the point where I have to address zile's architectural
> dependency on ncurses, namely that it updates the entire screen on every
> keypress, and relies on ncurses to optimise the display update.
>
> Any hints on how to go about this? I intend to make all the interactive
> functions that update the display do the relevant minimal (where
> possible) or maximal (where it's too complex/too much) update.
>
> Any better ideas gratefully received.

We could use two virtual screens:

  1) One to know the current content of the screen;
  2) One to know the new content that should be flush on the screen;

The refresh routine should compare both buffers, and update the
characters that has changes:

for (y=0; y<ROWS; y++)
  for (x=0; x<COLS; x++)
    if (oldbuf[y*COLS+x] != newbuf[y*COLS+x])
      term_update_char (x, y, oldbuf[y*COLS+x]=newbuf[y*COLS+x]);

--
http://www.davidcapello.com.ar