help-vcdimager

[VCDImager] Re: Muddy quality and a green line

From: Andrew Stevens
Subject: [VCDImager] Re: Muddy quality and a green line
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:28:15 +0200

Hi,

Sorry about the delay responding - the weather's been superb so I've been out
touring on my shiny new Motorbike ;-).

<cheeky>
For all you young indoor mjpeg and vcd coders: you gotta try the great
outdoors sometime too.   Recommended occasional Coding alterantives:
ridge-running a Sail-plane in the mountains, riding a nice fast motor-bike up
and down Alpine roads.  Diving is pretty good too.

Sadly only Diving is good therapy if typing gives you sore or numb fingers :-(

O.k.  o.k. so I'm feeling guilty at lagging behind you young thrusting folk
and trying to slow you down so I can resync ...
</cheeky>

> > When I watch the SVCD on TV it is very muddy. Everything is darker than
> > it should be. The shadows lose their detail. The colors lose their
> > saturation. And there is also a green line on the right side of the
> > screen. What's going on? Any ideas?

This sounds like a gamma problem.   Unfortunately I don't know DV so I can't
give you an exact culprit.  The MPEG encoding chain expects "raw" (non gamma
corrected) video.  My guess is that the DV library in lav2yuv is gamma
correcting (this makes dark stuff darker relative to light stuff).  Thus
since the MPEG player is also doing gamma correction you're getting  a double
gamma correction which is not good for image quality ;-).  Or some variation
on this theme...

Andrew