help-vcdimager

Re[4]: [VCDImager] SVCD from nupple video

From: Leandro Lucarella
Subject: Re[4]: [VCDImager] SVCD from nupple video
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 21:53:58 -0300 (ART)

El Sat, 6 Oct 2001 15:37:02 -0700 (PDT) Eric Jorgensen <address@hidden>
escribió:

EJ> --- Leandro Lucarella <address@hidden> wrote:
EJ> > El Tue, 2 Oct 2001 20:37:29 -0700 (PDT) Eric
EJ> > Jorgensen <address@hidden> escribió:
EJ> >
EJ> > EJ> Hi,
EJ> > EJ>
EJ> > EJ> I was wondering if you could tell me what you
EJ> > use on
EJ> > EJ> the command line?  Do you use the defaults?  Are
EJ> > you
EJ> > EJ> able to take advantage of the SVCD higher
EJ> > resolution?
EJ> >
EJ> > I use:
EJ> >
EJ> > nuvrec -a65535 -W480 -H576
EJ> >
EJ> > I use PAL for better resolution (and because is the
EJ> > used in my country)
EJ> >
EJ> >
EJ>
EJ> Leandro,
EJ>
EJ> Then, do you do anything special when you create the
EJ> mpg file?  Do you use the standard nuv2mpg script?  If
EJ> so, how do you get better quality than VCDs? (It is my
EJ> understanding that SVCDs can be created with higher
EJ> bitrates than VCDs).

I make SVCDs for better quality... RTFM in VCDImager home page about
bitrates and resolution for both VCD and SVCD...
I don't use standard nuv2xxx scripts because I had some problems with my
DVD player (and old mpeg2enc that doesn't put a sequence header between
every GOP)...

To make SVCD I recomend:
1) Download latest mjpegtool from CVS.
2) Use a simple script like this:
nuvplay -e "$1.nuv" | toolame -s 44.1 -b 160 -p 2 -m s /dev/stdin "$1.mp2"
exportvideo "$1.nuv" "|mpeg2enc -f5 -F3 -b1750 -q1 -I3 -G15 -g6 -21 -41 -V230
-N -o \"$1.m2v\""
mplex -b230 -f5 -o "$1.mpg" "$1.m2v" "$1.mp2"

toolame options:
-b is the bitrate. In SVCDs can be from 32 to 320 kbps (if I remember well)

mpeg2enc options:
-f is a preset. 4 is for standard SVCD and 5 is for user SVCD (you need
this to specify the bitrate if I'm not wrong)
-F is the framerate (3 is for PAL).
-b is the bitrate... it can be from something like 1Mbps to 2500 kbps.
-q1 is the best quality
-I3 is something related to quality, don't know exactly what is it for.
-G15 and -g6 are maximum and minimun PICs per GOP (needed for DVD players
to fastforward/rewind and entry-point)
-2 and -4 are quality options. 1 is the best, 4 is the worst
-V is the decoder buffer. To SVCD it must be 230.
-N is an experimental noise detection (or something like this)

mplex options are the same of mpeg3enc (-b is the decoder buffer).

Ok, this is the way I encode SVCDs. With this quality options is very very
slow, but I get a really nice quality...
With the options I passed you for nuvrec, is all I do to make SVCDs...

--
LUCA - Leandro Lucarella