Re: [help-texinfo] Some pages in bold font in pdf - Bug ?

From: Nicolas Maufrais
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Some pages in bold font in pdf - Bug ?
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 23:27:19 +0100

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 04:03:10PM -0600, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I haven't Acrobat 5.0.6 on my computer. I have versions 5.0.8 and
>
> Linux or Windows?
>
>     tools I use
>
> Yes, it seems pretty clear that the bug is in Acrobat :).  The question
> is how or if we can work around it.  I have never seen this before.
>
> Are you using the latest texinfo.tex?  If not, that's worth trying.
> ftp://tug.org/tex/texinfo.tex

Which file should I replace? I got those files on my system:
/usr/share/automake-1.4/texinfo.tex
/usr/share/automake-1.7/texinfo.tex
/usr/share/automake-1.8/texinfo.tex
/usr/share/automake-1.9/texinfo.tex
/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex

I assume that's the latest one.
I downloaded ftp://tug.org/tex/texinfo.tex and copied it over
/usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex. I re-generated the pdf again,
and the problem is always there.

>     I think I could report a bug on the teTeX list, don't you think?
>
> No, that won't help.  The texi2pdf script is just a tiny wrapper.
> It's not the problem.
>
>     - there're no links in the pdf
>
> Hmm.

We really need those links in the final pdf...

>     - images do not display
>
> That's fixable by converting them to eps.

OK.

>     - there're some other problems, such as black lines in the margin
>
> Overfull lines.  Probably a side effect of the images not being there,
> or something.

OK. So, that should be solved if the images can be put in the final pdf.

> However, clearly it's undesirable to spend time dealing with that
> stuff.  My only other idea is to try a different version of TeX.  I will
> try to rerun your files myself and send you the resulting pdf.

OK.

> Do you have any other computers or friends you could try out the "bold"
> pdf on?  After all, it could conceivably be a configuration problem
> specific to a single computer.  (Not likely, but hey, anything's possible.)

In fact I tried the pdf:
- On my monoboot Linux computer @home (Debian SID), I see the bold pages
  with Acrobat 5.0.8 and Acrobat 7.0.8. I don't see them with gv.
  However, the display quality of gv is very very bad compared to
  Acrobat. Perhaps that low quality of display on screen doesn't allows
  me to see the difference between bold/non-bold pages
- On a Windows XP computer @home, with Acrobat. I do see the bold lines.

Nicolas.