[help-texinfo] Re: @,{c} in @node fails although @'o etc succeeds

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: @,{c} in @node fails although @'o etc succeeds
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 15:21:34 -0600

Karl,

about @,{c} in @node,

> How about @,c ?  (I haven't tried it, just a wild stab.)

Nope.

> Here are two other ideas, also unlikely to work:
> @macro ccedil
> @,{c}
> @end macro
> @node address@hidden

Nope.

> @set ccedil @,{c}
> @node address@hidden

Yes! This works. I won't ask why. 8^)

>     replaced by ç
>
> Yes, if that works, be happy :).

OK, help me understand something here.
Is there a reason to put @,{c} into a document if ç works?
(I.e., what is broken by 8 bit characters?)

> Keep us posted, maybe this will finally encourage me enough to make
> 8-bit input really work with texinfo.tex.

I find that the present version of the document is apparently
typeset correctly by texi2dvi, although texi2dvi complains in
great volume about "Extra @endcsname", "Missing @endcsname inserted",
and "Missing { inserted" (these three appear to be the vast majority
of the messages).

Here is one page from the texi2dvi output:

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/docs/original/pt/maxima_pt_p196.pdf

Looks good to me!  Thanks a lot for your help.

best,
Robert Dodier