[help-texinfo] Re: @,{c} in @node fails although @'o etc succeeds

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: @,{c} in @node fails although @'o etc succeeds
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:40:58 -0400

    @,{c} (cedilla)

How about @,c ?  (I haven't tried it, just a wild stab.)

    what needs to be done to make @node happy with that.

Here are two other ideas, also unlikely to work:
@macro ccedil
@,{c}
@end macro
@node address@hidden

or
@set ccedil @,{c}
@node address@hidden

    replaced by รง

Yes, if that works, be happy :).

    I'm guessing texi2dvi doesn't like that, although I can't tell for

No, the 8-bit char won't work there.  This one particular thing could be
fixed, however ...

    sure because texi2dvi is unhappy with a lot of things. :(

... I don't think texi2dvi will do anything sensible with node names
containing commands, at all, and fixing that seems pretty hopeless at
the moment.  Real 8-bit characters would have to be used in all cases;
possibly the recode utility could do at least some of the translation
automatically, I remember it having Texinfo support, although how
up-to-date it is I have no idea.  And, worse, texinfo.tex hacked to get
the right output for them.  I have some patches that could be used for a
one-off job, but nothing that can be released :(.

Keep us posted, maybe this will finally encourage me enough to make
8-bit input really work with texinfo.tex.

Best,
Karl