Re: Data Acquisition with Octave

From: Julien Salort
Subject: Re: Data Acquisition with Octave
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:43:32 +0100

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:

> There is no legal problem sharing your source code, as long as you
> don't distribute binaries compiled to the non-free driver.

Are you sure ?

Doesn't the  GPL state that anyone  should be allowed  to distribute the
resulting binary, anyway one wants ?

If  distributing  the binary  is  forbidden,  because  it is  linked  to
closed-source library, then there is a problem...

However: I think the NI libraries are dynamic libraries (at least on Mac
OS  X  and Linux,  I'm  not  sure what  the  .lib  file  is on  Windows)
Therefore, I'm  not sure  if there is  any NI  code inside the  OCT file
itself...  If the  OCT file contains no NI code, then  it is eligible to
the GPL, is it not ?