Progress on Web GUI - New Problem

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Progress on Web GUI - New Problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:22:02 -0500 (CDT)

On 27-Jun-2000, Tom Weichmann <address@hidden@localnet.com> wrote:

| Here is octave output in my CHROOT environment
| -------------------------------------------------------------
| octave:1> help help
| help is a built-in text function
|

| Additional help for built-in functions, operators, and variables
| is available in the on-line version of the manual.  Use the command
| `help -i <topic>' to search the manual index.
|
| Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
| at http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/octave.html and via the
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------
|
| It seems as if octave can not parse the m-file for its help text.  I
| do not get any errors though.  Any ideas??

The help command is a built-in function, so its help text is not in an
M-file.

In any case, from the format of the help text when it works, it looks
like you are using Octave 2.1.x, which passes the help text through
makeinfo for formatting.  Do you have makeinfo installed in your
chroot environment?

You don't say exactly what version you are using, so I can only guess,
but in the current sources, no error is produced if makeinfo is not
available because then the help text is just passed on to the pager
stream without formatting.  I don't know why that is not working for
you.

jwe