Octave Web GUI

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave Web GUI
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:39:49 -0500 (CDT)

On 24-Jun-2000, Tom Weichmann <address@hidden@localnet.com> wrote:

| I have accomplishes all of this, but no matter what I am doing in
| my m-file, I get an error at the very end of the text output.  The following
| is an example of a *very* simple m-file, and its output to the web.
|
| input----------------
| a=[1:1:10]
| b=[10:-1:1]
|
| output--------------
|
| a =
|
|    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  10
|
| b =
|
|   10   9   8   7   6   5   4   3   2   1
|
| error: Permission denied
|
| I am invoking octave with the -H option, So the error is not caused by trying
| to write the history file.  Does anyone have any idea what octave could be
| trying to do just before it closes that the web process would not have
| permission to do?

I think it is trying to write the history file (I took a quick look at
this by doing

  echo "a = 1:10" | strace octave -H

and it seems that Octave is still reading and writing the history
file.  The help text for the -H option says that it tells Octave to
not save commands to the history list, but nothing about the history
file.  I suppose it makes some sense to try to read the history file
if it exists, but not to write it if nothing has been saved to the
history list.

It would not be hard to modify Octave to avoid writing the history
file when it exits if saving_history is 0.  But this probably doesn't
do the right thing for cases like

  $ octave -H

  octave> don't save these command in the history list...
  octave> saving_history = 1;
  octave> save these commands in the history list...
  octave> saving_history = 0;
  octave> don't save these command in the history list...
  octave> quit

since the history file would not be updated if saving_history is 0 at
the time Octave exits.

Yes, I can see a way to solve this problem, but to me it doesn't seem
worth the effort.

jwe