help-nano

[Help-nano] Default Behavior for Wrapping

From: David T. Phillips
Subject: [Help-nano] Default Behavior for Wrapping
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:32:48 -0500

(This is as much a comment as a question.)

By default, nano will wrap lines and this wrapping is done by inserting
line break characters into the file one is editing.

The behavior is overridable via -w/--nowrap.

For a computer programmer, sysadmin or just about anyone I can imagine
using a Unix text editor, the addition of characters to the file one is
editing can be a very bad thing.

As far as I can tell, nowhere in the man page does it mention that
wrapping involves inserting characters into your file.  I imagine many
people (I am one) equate wrapping with what is called 'soft wrapping' in
more recent versions of nano.

I'm just mentioning this because I feel like the default behavior should
be for the editor to do no (hard) wrapping.  If one wants wrapping they
should have to toggle it with --wrap or some such.

@Chris - Thank you very much for all of your hard work.

-David

--
  David Phillips