help-gnustep

Re: No font when launching a test app

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: No font when launching a test app
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:32:01 -0600

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 01:08 PM, Nicolas Girard wrote:

Well, thanks for the thoughts ! I did some progress, but the situation is
still tricky

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:07:05 -0600, Adam Fedor wrote :
Did you see any errors when the font cache was being made? Perhaps you
can remove the :0.0 file and try running it on it's own:

font_cacher
This I already tested, unsuccessfully. I got no error during the
construction of the cache.

Also see the FAQ entry for this and see if any of that might apply to
you:

http://www.gnustep.org/information/userfaq_1.html#SEC30

I decided to follow the FAQ by using the art backend. I did a first
attempt to do a
   configure --enable-graphics=art && make
which failed because of some changes in libfreetype2 (I use version
2.1.3).

I googled a little and learned that FTC_ImageDesc has been replaced
by FTC_ImageTypeRec.

I had to modify gnustep-back-0.8.6/Source/art/ftfont.m as a
consequence ; you'll find a diff at the end of this message.

Then I succeeded in compiling gnustep-back for the use of the art backend,
removed the font cache once again and ran font_cacher.
Now, when i launch my sample NSApplication, i get a *black* window (vs
white before), still containing nothing but a grey button. The progress is in the fact that there's now 'OK' written in light grey (hardly unreadable) in
the button...

the art backend doesn't use font_cacher, but it does use it's own fonts. See

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Tips%20and%20Troubleshooting

(nfont packages)

for information on installing the font packages.