help-gnu-music

Re: Two Lilypond questions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Two Lilypond questions
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:12:59 +0100

You didn't specify what Lilypond version you're using, so
the answer below is for the latest development versions.

>   Hi, I've got two questions about Lilypond.  Both might be
> feature requests/bug reports if there isn't any way to do them :)
>
>   First, is it possible to notate an arpeggiated or "rolled" chord in
> Lilypond?
> Rolled chords are a pretty common device in piano music.  They look like
> a vertical squiggle to the left of the chord.

Yes, since version 1.3.96. See the example in
input/regression/arpeggio.ly (or /input/test/arpeggio.ly)

>   Second, what's the preferred way of handling alternative endings over
> multiple staves/voices? (eg: piano music with one voice for the treble clef
> and one for the bass) I tried doing what seemed obvious (putting separate
> \repeat and \alternative directives in each voice), but that gave me
> two "1----|" markings above the score, which is ugly besides being wrong.

Unfortunately, the best solution at the moment is to
explicitly remove the bracket for all but the top-most
staff, using
\property Staff.VoltaBracket = \turnOff

    /Mats