help-gnu-music

Re: Newbie question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:40:00 +0100

> I've just installed lilypond 1.3.46-jbr1 on windows a few days ago.
> After reading the tutorial and manual, I still have some questions in
> mind.  My apologies if these questions sound silly:
>
> 1. How can I put the dynamics above of the note instead of below?

On 1.3.46, \property Staff.dynamicDirection = \up should do the
job.

> 2. How to add/remove a staff in the middle of a piece?

There are several possibilities. One way is to use the
so-called HaraKiri mechanism. Assuming that a staff should
start at bar 45, you could create it already from the
beginning but start it with 'R1*44' or '\skip 1*44'.
Then you redefine the Staff context to use the
Hara_kiri_engraver:
\score{
  \paper{
    \translator{\HaraKiriStaffContext}
  }
}

To remove a staff, just end it.

> 3. Is there a newer version available for windows?  And how should I go
> about compiling a newer version for windows?  I have cygwin installed.

Some newer versions are available at
ftp://appel.lilypond.org/pub/gnu-windows/cygwin-1.1.4/bin/installer/

For information on how to build it yourself, I recommend that
you search the mailing list archives (see the links at
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/Documentation/topdocs/out-www/FAQ.html)

Note that the syntax keeps changing somewhat between different
versions. The program convert-ly (earlier called convert-mudela)
will help you keep your files up to date. The answers above are
for version 1.3.46.

    /Mats