help-gnu-music

Re: I still don't understand the backend

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: I still don't understand the backend
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:39:53 +0100

> I am sorry, but I still don't understand how the backend works.
> The documentation is very hard to understand when I don't understand the
> basics of lily.
> I want to squeeze some of my music together horisontally.
> I guess that I have to reduce the value of arithmetic_basisspace of the
> SpacingSpanner - but I still don't understand HOW to do it.
> How do I find out where I find that SpacingSpanner - is it part of the
> score, of the staff, of what?

All properties are inherited in the context hierarchy,
which means that you are always on the safe side if you
set the property on the Score level (unless you want
different layout on different staffs, for example).
For this particular example, the SpacingSpanner is created
by the Spacing_engraver which is included in the Score
context:

\property Score.SpacingSpanner \override #'arithmetic_basicspace = 4.0

     /Mats