help-gnu-music

guitar chords and lyrics with no visible staff

From: amep
Subject: guitar chords and lyrics with no visible staff
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:10:02 -0600

First, wow, lilypond output is pretty. Modula is petty easy, too!
Nice stuff.

I have just started using lilypond to typeset my music. What I want to
do is to setup two lines: one chords and bar lines, and the other lyrics.
This is the format used by some folk musicians. Something like this:

| CM79         Dm7         | Cadd9                |
 Sometimes I've stood   and watched them go by

I was able to do this fairly well in lilypond 1.2.17 (I've attached a
file that worked with this version). But it I could not set the page's
margins so I upgraded thinking that this feature might have been added
since. BUT, after the upgrade my code stopped working. I made changes
(I've attached a changed file also. sorry it's a different file) and
got it to parse (do you call is compiling?), but now I could not get
bar lines to appear and all the lyrics were italic. Losing the bar
lines was the worst part and went it search of a way to get them back
but I could not find any info anywhere. I had been enabling
Repeat_engraver but it no longer existed. I found
Repeat_acknowledge_engraver and tried it but to no avail.

I found that there was an example that did something similar (only
chords, no lyrics). But it worked the same way my files did and was
also broken in the new version (though it was also distributed with
it. Proly a bug.).

summary:

Q. How do I achieve the above mentioned format?
Q. How do I set the margin size?

If someone could clue me in I would be most grateful. Thanks.

-Arthur