help-gnu-music

Re: Installation of LilyPond without root permissions

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Installation of LilyPond without root permissions
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 17:04:17 +0100

> address@hidden writes:
>
> > Can you try your luck with LilyPond 1.3.92?
>
> Yeah, wow, it installs :)
>
> But now - as always - I have a new problem:
>
> address@hidden:~]$ ly2dvi tst.ly
> ly2dvi (GNU LilyPond) 1.3.92
> executing: lilypond  tst.ly 2>&1
> lilypond: error in loading shared libraries: libguile.so.9: cannot open
> ly2dvi: LilyPond failed: lilypond  tst.ly 2>&1
>
> In /usr/lib/ there is only two libguile* files:
>
> /usr/lib/libguile.so.4  /usr/lib/libguile.so.4.0.0
>
> I know that this topic was on the list before but I did not understand the
> solution... I don't really know what guile is.
> What can I do?

You have to install a newer version of Guile (an environment and
library for embedded script programming in the LISP dialect Scheme).

However, I don't understand how you installed Lilypond. Did you
install from an RPM and force it to put the files locally or
did you compile it yourself? If you compiled it yourself, the
error message indicates that the compiler found the new version
of the Guile library whereas the run-time loader only finds
the older version.

If you don't have Guile version 1.3.4 or newer installed on your
system, I'm afraid you'll have to build it yourself and install
in your home directory or some other place where you have write
permissions (unless you can persuade your systems administrator
to upgrade Guile).

    /Mats