help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat

From: Frederick Polgardy
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:58:27 -0500

> When I try to imagine in what case you would like that I end up with vocal
> music with both original and translated lyrics of which the rhythm does
> not exactly match; or with several stanzas on the same melody but slightly
> different rhythm.
>
> But in such cases the 'alternative groupings' are usually (in my musical
> experience...) typeset as if they were multiple voices on the same staff.

Your imagination is about 75% right.  I do in fact have several stanzas that
I want to set; but the problem is that they are not the same melody, or even
the same length, so I cannot set them vertically, or on the same staff.

The exact layout of the piece goes like this:

Chorus
Repeat Chorus
Verse 1
Chorus
Verse 2
Chorus
Verse 3
Chorus
Final Ending

And I want to conceptually organize the score like this (using [] where I
would like volta brackets, :|| for repeat, || for double bar, |. for end):

Chorus ||* [ End of Chorus - 1st Time :|| ] [ End of Chorus - To Verse 1 ||
]
[ End of Chorus - To Verse 2 || ] [ End of Chorus - To Verse 3 || ]
Coda - Final Ending |.

(* last time to Coda)

I hope that makes sense, it's really difficult to express in ASCII. :-)

Thanks for your help.

Fred

--
|__ _  |    |  _ __|    F R E D E R I C K   P O L G A R D Y   J R.
  | |\ \    / /| |      Virtual Media, Inc.
  | | \ \  / / | |      18-3 E Dundee Suite 300 Barrington, IL 60010-5278
 _| |_ \ \/ / _| |_     Phone: 847/842.9008 Fax: 847/842-1731
|_____| \__/ |_____|    http://www.virtual-media.com