Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Tribhuvan
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:51:14 GMT

David Masterson wrote:

Exactly.  My contention is that /tmp/foo should be installed right
along with everything else.

 My suggestion is that "make install" should
then do it and autoconf/automake should be updated to incorporate this
in the Makefiles that they generate.

After doing `make` the Makefile should contain the data on
which items will be installed where during `make install`.
 (if i understand correctly).

If autoconf/automake incorporate a routine to:

 At the tail end of `make` - extract the file names and paths
 from the Makefile to a "file_list.dat" within the source tree.
 The textfile in turn could be copied to somewhere on the
 system during `make install` (to a location specified during
 `configure`).
 this "file_list.dat" can be used later by another (new) automake
 routine to remove files from the system.