Re: Software/HD ecology

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology
Date: 27 Dec 2002 13:35:40 +0900

Luis Fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:
> What I am proposing is for all packages to be compartmentalized, by
> default ("configure; make; make install"), in their own directories
> with version numbers so multiple version of the same package can
> co-exist without conflicts and collisions.

I suspect that most of the time people don't really care about such
functionality, at least for the great majority of simple packages --
and many packages where multiple version support _is_ important
(e.g., emacs, gcc) already support it it.

People who have unusual requirements can just use stow or something.

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?