help-gnats

Re: Adding "Description" column field in Advanced query option.

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Adding "Description" column field in Advanced query option.
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:50:59 +0100

At 22:33 15.12.2002 -0800, Gnanesh V wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

        We are using GNATS 3.113 for reporting bugs &
it's extremely good for usage till now. We have an
request about adding fields in GNATS.

1)Is there any possiblity of adding extra fields of
our own in GNATS. If so please let us know which all
files we need to update & what contents has to go in
under these files.

This is one of the most important new features of GNATS 4.0. You can add and remove fields, change behaviour of fields and in general customize most aspects of GNATS behaviour. GNATS 4 is its second beta version right now. If you are using GNATS in production, it is a bit risky to start using the beta version there, even though I consider beta 2 to be generally good quality and in most respects much better quality that 3.113.

2)Please let us know how to add "Description" field in
select columns to display under "Advanced query"
option. This is very important for us since, when a
query is selected, the fields that we can select in
select columns to display should contain this
"Description" column field. So that we can get the
Problem Reports along with "Description" of each
problem Report selected & it will be useful for us to
have the decription of the problem report in our
report.

This is harder. Description is a multi-line field and it can thus easily contain data that are completely impossible to display in the table format that Query Results uses. It can of course be done with a bit of Perl knowledge, but it might involve changing the entire Query Results display.

This particular feature probably belongs in the reporting functionality that I plan to include in Gnatsweb 4.1 (or whatever it will be called), so you may have to wait until then.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer