gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Generalizing views - Collecting everything together

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Generalizing views - Collecting everything together
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:52:27 +0200

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:48:39PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Tuomas Lukka kirjoitti:

> > > I discussed with Tuukka about this yesterday. The interpolation in Loom
> > > look ugly and should probably be replaced by a ghost connection, but how
> > > to make it look nice in AWT?
> >
> > Could we first think about how we want it to look and only *then* how to
> > approximate the ideal situation in AWT? Constraining ourselves to AWT's
> > limitations this early in the design phase is not good.
>
> On GL side we can use unique backgrounds.

That's a good idea; this would be an ideal application for them, since they
emphasize the identity.

> Probably also fillet-like(?)
> ghost (slightly transparent?) connections,

Yes.

> but then the screen could get
> messy if there are a dozen of cross-connections going across the wheel.

Something we did once was emphasize those connections that were close to the
mouse.

> In our simple views all connections are straight lines. Will this change,
> or could we use some kind of bezier line connecting the different
> occurrences of the same node.

You could use *ANYTHING* you can draw for the connection. Bezier, subdivision
surfaces, lightnings, ...

> Should the connection go across the wheel or
> try to circle along the edges? Color coding for connections? Dashed lines?

This would depend on how many nodes we expect to see, and how many connections
among them.

        Tuomas