gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Generalizing views - Collecting everything together

From: Asko Soukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Generalizing views - Collecting everything together
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:48:39 +0200 (EET)

Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Tuomas Lukka kirjoitti:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:04:28PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> > Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > > I disagree. I think that we *can* have automatic interpolation most of
> > > the time.
> > > One important thing on the way is to *show* that the same node is shown
> > > twice:

> > > A ghost connection (beam, or such).
> >
> > I discussed with Tuukka about this yesterday. The interpolation in Loom
> > look ugly and should probably be replaced by a ghost connection, but how
> > to make it look nice in AWT?
>
> Could we first think about how we want it to look and only *then* how to
> approximate the ideal situation in AWT? Constraining ourselves to AWT's
> limitations this early in the design phase is not good.

On GL side we can use unique backgrounds. Probably also fillet-like(?)
ghost (slightly transparent?) connections, but then the screen could get
messy if there are a dozen of cross-connections going across the wheel.

In our simple views all connections are straight lines. Will this change,
or could we use some kind of bezier line connecting the different
occurrences of the same node. Should the connection go across the wheel or
try to circle along the edges? Color coding for connections? Dashed lines?

Asko Soukka <address@hidden>
<http://www.iki.fi/asko.soukka/>