gzz-dev

[Gzz] Re: Ouch-- yes, cursor keys + wheel is a problem

From: Tuukka Hastrup
Subject: [Gzz] Re: Ouch-- yes, cursor keys + wheel is a problem
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 00:18:11 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
> ouch, you're right. In the Wheel view, using the up/down keys for
> rotation works when you're looking on the right side, navigating the
> structure poswards, but it falls on its knees when navigating negwards.
> The up/down keys suddenly feel like having the reverse meaning of before.

Navigating with mouse has it's problem too: the connected nodes should
still be selectable before moving, if there are more nodes than the view
can show clearly. Click to select, another to move? Scrollwheel to move
selection, left click to move? Drag to move selection, click to move?

> This is a severe bug. From a few minutes of trying, I am quite convinced
> that you cannot 'learn' to understand this behavior, because of the
> inconsistency between left and right. I don't know how to fix it :-(

One option is reverting back to the idea of two scroll controls: one for
left, one for right side. The sides could still scroll at the
same time, or it could be better if they didn't.

1. Selection is only on one side at a time: if it's on left, pressing left
moves and pressing right switches selection to right. Meaning of up and
down keys depends on selection side.

2. Selection is on both sides, and we assign corners of an arrow set
(numpad, joystick, "qezc" etc.) to intuitively work as clockwise and
counter-clockwise.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: address@hidden