gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Ouch-- yes, cursor keys + wheel is a problem

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Ouch-- yes, cursor keys + wheel is a problem
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:29:19 +0200

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:10:16PM +0200, Asko Soukka wrote:
> Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > > ouch, you're right. In the Wheel view, using the up/down keys for
> > > rotation works when you're looking on the right side, navigating the
> > > structure poswards, but it falls on its knees when navigating negwards.
> > > The up/down keys suddenly feel like having the reverse meaning of before.
> >
> > How about clockwise / counterclockwise -keys? With 3D joystick, the rudder
> > (i.e. rotating the stick along the stick's axis).
>
> "Clockwise / couterclockwise -keys" would be only renaming the current up
> / down -keys ;)

But the point is that they should not be vertical; more natural would be
right = clockwise, left = counterclockwise.

For instance, the keys '[' and ']'.

> Bulding 3D joystick from legos will be challanging.

And also unnecessary, since 3D joysticks exist cheaply. We have one, don't we?

> But building a
> simple wheel controller using mouse's wheel port (as I and Tuukka
> proposed) would be easy. When the controller also looks like wheel,
> using it should be intuitive.

And if the wheel would be placed horizontally, like a platter... mmm..

> Of course we can't have own controller for every feature :/

Why not? We don't want to have that many features, do we? ;)

        Tuomas