guix-devel

Re: Missed testing

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Missed testing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 12:27:38 +0100

FWIW, I agree that error handling when booting the Guix system leaves a lot to
be desired.

Because of the system rollback feature it's not so bad, but we should advertise
that feature, and that ",bournish" works, before dropping into the repl.

Also, that doesn't help on initial installation which should be made much more
user-friendly.

> Still not addressed is why users section stops being defined when one
> copy and pastes that example text onto the configuration.

That sounds very strange and would be a very bad bug.

> Nor the fact that luks boot with that example configuration never
> prompts for the luks password and just goes to a very unhappy place and
> drops the user in a guile shell to sort things out and we lack
> documentation with how to deal with that case.

I'm using luks home with current guix master and it prompts for my password.

(define dayas-home (mapped-device
                         (source (uuid "531005b3-71a1-4784-aa2a-11f68682c6da"))
                         (target "dayas-home")
                         (type luks-device-mapping)))

(operating-system
  (mapped-devices (list dayas-home))
  (file-systems ...
                       (file-system
                        (device "/dev/mapper/dayas-home")
                        (mount-point "/home")
                        (type "btrfs")
                        (needed-for-boot? #f)
                        (mount? #t)
                        (check? #t)
                        (dependencies (list dayas-home)))))

> Users are going to hit edge cases, when we write them; we really don't
> want the users to have to read 100,000+ lines of code to try to
> figureout how to deal with them.

I agree.  These kind of bug reports are very useful.

I've learned to not step on the mines, but better would be to have nicer
failure modes.

I'll be so happy when the TUI installer is the default way to install Guix.
Installing Guix manually is not fun.

The installer can and should be made to automatically amend the system
config by mptspi etc.