guix-devel

Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 09:02:43 +0100

On 2018-11-07 10:19, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

snip

Ubuntu is also in the --disable-wrapping-as-root flag club.

A potential reason against joining would be if there's a real need for the default behavior (no --disable-wrapping-as-root, no -w) and it being hard to achieve with the flag.

I can think of no such need. Could we add --disable-wrapping-as-root and advise the user in the specification to create his own package inherited from nano instead?

If a valid need does surface we can discuss changing the default.

It looks like the option to use would be:

-r number, --fill=number
Hard-wrap  lines at column number.  If this value is 0 or less, wrapping will occur at the width of the screen less number columns, allowing the wrap point to vary along with the width of the screen  if  the screen is resized.  The default value is -8.  This option conflicts with -w (--nowrap) -- the last one given takes effect.

If I understand you correctly adding this as root would reenable the -w behavior?

--
Cheers
Swedebugia