guix-devel

Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Nano: disable hard wrapping by default
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 03:27:28 +0800

swedebugia <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2018-11-06 19:43, swedebugia wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I stumpled on this hard-wrapping default behavior when editing
>> .bash_profile on GuixSD
>>
>> It is super annoying.
>>
>> Could we disable it by default?
>>
>> According to the FAQ this exist:
>>
>> "With --disable-wrapping-as-root you can disable any hard-wrapping
>> by default when the user is root, useful to prevent accidentally
>> changing long lines in system configuration files."
>>
>> "  --disable-wrapping      Disable all hard-wrapping of text"
>>
>> We only compile with this:
>>
>> address@hidden ~$ nano -V
>>
>>  GNU nano, version 2.9.8
>>
>> snip
>>
>>  Compiled options: --enable-utf8
>>
> We could do this also by adding the following to our core ~.bashrc
>
> alias nano="nano --nowrap"

I don't use nano. But I think usually we want to stick with the default
provided by upstream. Also, do you know how other distros handle this?
Debian does disable wrapping by default. I think we can change it if
many distros agree that the more sensible default is to disable
wrapping.

Personally though, I prefer wrapping because I can read all the text at
once. I like to see the "whole picture" at once :)