guile-gtk-general

Re: 2.7.90 released

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: 2.7.90 released
Date: 16 Oct 2004 19:07:47 -0400

I should also say thank you to Andreas, who has been helping me both
on and off list.

Earlier I wrote:

  gdt 708 ~ > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/y0/lib guile
  guile> (use-modules (gnome gobject))

In my view, a package that needs to load its own files at runtime, of
whatever sort, should look for them in the prefix with which it was
configured.  Without LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/y0/lib, I get

  guile> (use-modules (gnome gobject))
  /usr/pkg/share/guile/gnome/gobject/gtype.scm:102:15: In procedure
dynamic-link in expression (dynamic-link "libguile-gnome-gobject"):
  /usr/pkg/share/guile/gnome/gobject/gtype.scm:102:15: file:
"libguile-gnome-gobject", message: "can't open the module"
  ABORT: (misc-error)

  Type "(backtrace)" to get more information or "(debug)" to enter the debugger.
  guile>

If the dynamic-link had called (string-append (gobject-prefix) "/lib/"
"libguile-gnome-gobject") instead, I think this would have worked out
fine:

  guile> (dynamic-link (string-append "/usr/y0/lib/" "libguile-gnome-gobject"))

  #<dynamic-object "/usr/y0/lib/libguile-gnome-gobject">

I realize this is a semi-religious issue, as it would seem that
Debian's objection to -rpath would apply here as well.  I don't
understand the anti---rpath argument, but this is different in that
the prefix is only used for hte file in question, and isn't part of a
search path.  But I suppose this could be a configure-time option, so
that both camps could have it installed as they like it.

Thoughts?

--
        Greg Troxel <address@hidden>