guile-gtk-general

Re: G-Wrap 1.9.3rc1 -- please test

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: G-Wrap 1.9.3rc1 -- please test
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:35:04 +0200

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

>   I've just uploaded the first 1.9.3 release canditate to
>   http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926584/tmp/. This release
>
>   - contains libffi, as does 1.9.2
>   - has a the .pc file fixed, which was bogus when using the internal libffi
>   - reverts the enhanced generics support (which was in 1.9.2),
>     since this breaks guile-gnome
>
>   This release should thus be suitable for the guile-gnome 2.6.0
>   tarballs; please give it some testing. If I don't receive negative
>   feedback, I'll release it as 1.9.3 soonish.
>
> After ranting, I thought I should do something useful, and set out to
> get guile-gnome working.  I haven't got there, and I'm submitting this
> note as a bug/experience report.  I didn't find your note about
> 1.9.3rc1, so I started at the web page.
>
> 1) guile-gnome web pages don't explain that you need g-wrap:
>
>   http://home.gna.org/guile-gnome/dev/
>
> They should probably also mention that one needs Guile-Lib.

I'll fix this.

> 2) arch info on page above was very nice.  I'm very used to CVS and
>    not yet an arch weenie, and I was able to check out the whole
>    multi-tree with no pain from the commands as given.
>    (It would be cool to give them in a cut/pastable shell script form,
>    so you can just cut from browser to shell and be done, but it was
>    easy enough.)
>
> 3) autogen.sh in guile-gnome chokes if . is not in PATH.  Of course,
>    . should never be in PATH :-) It just needs ./ added in a few
>    places.  Let me know if you would like a diff.

This seems to be shell issue (it works without . in PATH in some
shells). Diff would be appreciated.

> 4) autogen.sh runs configure; this was surprising but on a reread of
>    README implied.  I expected autogen to just set up for configure,
>    not run it, and perhaps saying that arguments for configure should
>    be given to autogen.sh would help.

You can use --noconfigure; but I agree that the README should make
this more explicit.

> 5) I donwloaded g-wrap 1.9.2, the latest release on the web page:

I accidentially released 1.9.2 with enhanced generics support, which
will break guile-gnome. This also needs to be documented somewhere,
granted... ;)

>   http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/
>
> On reading the README, I find that I have to get
>
>   Guile-Lib >= 0.1.2, http://home.gna.org/guile-lib
>
> Via that page, there's a missing link to a download area:
>
>   http://download.gna.org/guile-lib/daily/

I in fact did not come around to install a cronjob for daily builds
and uploads yet; maybe I'll remove the section about daily
builds... Should be easy enough to use Arch.

> I then found the regular release area, and will continue.

Neither G-Wrap nor guile-gnome needs a bleeding edge version of
guile-lib, the last release should be sufficient, AFAIR.

> It would really help to clean up bad links on the web pages and be
> more clear about prereqs.  I realize why its good to split things
> out, and am just trying to convey the experience of a non-hard-core
> user trying to build guile-gnome.  If I weren't such a Scheme fan I
> would have given up and found other things to play with by now.

Thanks a lot for trying and reporting the issues. Your feedback is
very appreciated.

Regards & Thanks, Rotty
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden